Maroons museum and traditional artifacts in Accompong town.
The Maroons of today are descended from peoples brought from Africa by the Spanish during their occupation of the island from 1494 to 1565. These Africans were taken from an area stretching around the verge of Africa as far south as Angola. They were brought to the island to serve as cattle-hands, hunters, and as military defense unit. In 1655 the British invaded the island, which gave these slaves an opportunity to flee to the hills, where they became known as Maroons- "a group-groups of people who resisted European slavery, defeated colonial forces and gained for themselves everlasting freedom"-(Agorsah: 64-5).
1. The first of four seal grounds in Accompong.
This is the first of four seal grounds in Accompong. It is the most important of the four as it is the most powerful. There are 60 seals here.